Sunday 21 October 2012

Essay Choice - Surrealism



I've decided to use Surrealism as my design movement for my essay due to it appealing to me. The fact that  the whole design movement centres around the impossible seems appropriate because in a game anythings possible. The paintings created by various artists including Salvador Dali and the German painter Max Ernst appeal to me more than the traditional artwork of more famous artists such as Edvard Munch and Pablo Picasso because I personally find them more visually appealing this is possibly due to myself being born into more modern and colourful world visually when it comes to artwork. Computers were revolutionizing the way people lived and worked as I was growing up, a new medium was born that was available to artists to create new modern pieces of digital work. Digitally created graphics and artwork tends to be colourful and non sequitur much like Surrealism so I believe finding common ground between both is the reason I much prefer the artwork of Surrealism over much more celebrated works from alternate movements. Surrealism isn't exclusive to the visual arts, literature features heavily in surrealism, and theatre, film and music do also but in a lower capacity, but my preference is the visual arts aspect of it

No comments:

Post a Comment